Monday, July 2, 2007

Stars so far away I can't see them

Genesis 3:5 "For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil." Ignorance was truly blissful once. Now everything I see I must explain through scripture. What I find so interesting is that peoples attitude toward scripture is revealed when they simply look at Genesis 1.

I have no problem with light from stars millions/billions of light years away. Please remember that all evolution is, is a theory. Just as what I am about to introduce is a theory. Mine, however, is a biblical theory. I find that because I refuse to compromise on scripture, if I find evidence, it must not affect my opinion of scripture. The evidence I see must conform to the truth of God. This means that most times I must go back to the original language of the text, to determine proper context and meaning. This instance is not the case.

Just so you know, I am a young earth creationist, so everything TRUE must conform to what the Bible says. If there is ABSOLUTE TRUTH that does not conform to the Bible, then God has mumbled and we all might as well believe that there is no heaven, because there is no way of getting there. Thankfully I am actually of the reverse opinion. The Bible IS absolute truth, and therefore nothing that is true contradicts the Bible. I will willfully enter into the Kingdom of heaven crawled up (possibly crying) in a corner saying "I do not understand how the Bible and this truth do not contradict" than try to rationalize the Bible as non-truth. In other words, I think God knows more than I do. If I see a truth in the world, then it is true. If I see a verse in the bible, then it is true. And to quote C.H. Spurgeon rather liberally, then "it is my folly that leads me to imagine that two truths can ever contradict each other."1

This should be a relatively short blog. It is simply something to say that scripture explains all that is sufficient for us now. Lets get to the point.

Stars. So far away. How could the universe possibly be young? Light travels a certain distance at a certain speed and that is that. Or is it? Here are two points:

1. The speed of light (SOL)2 is a measurement of DISTANCE, not of velocity, due to the fact that light may be slowed down and sped up 3. What am I saying , that the SOL is NOT a velocity? No. I'm saying it's not the biblical constant you once thought it was. It can be changed 3.

2. Has God told us everything? No. Does the Bible reveal the truths of Calculus? No. What I contend is that WHATEVER THE BIBLE SAYS IS TRUE. Whatever is not specifically mentioned is left for man to discover. God has truly blessed us. To quote Ken Ham of AiG: "If God told us everything we'd never graduate" 4 I'm not saying we roll over, die and just say "God did it, I don't care how!" What I am suggesting is that when we do not understand something, it is scripture (God's word) that we trust, not in the fallible things of man. Why should we fall just because we are deceived, we deceive ourselves. 1 Corinthians 3:18 "Let no one deceive himself. If anyone among you thinks that he is wise in this age, let him become a fool that he may become wise." The first step (as always) is to rely on God.

Now that we have this in mind, there should be no doubt that God is King of Kings, Lord of Lords. You should not need a THEORY to compel you to scripture. Listen to me on this: IF MY THEORY TURNS YOU BACK ON THE 'RIGHT' PATH YOU WILL FALL OFF IT AGAIN IN THE SAME WAY YOU ORIGINALLY FELL OFF. I should not have to provide evidence for God and Jesus to a Christian (actually I offer none to anyone - I will offer you scripture though). No one will ever be able to explain everything to you. There will be a time when you have to simply "Be still, and know that [He is] God" (Psalm 46:10).

Here is a theory of the 6 day creation working WITH distances of stars. Be careful, this is quite complex:

Isaiah 40:22 "It is he who sits above the circle of the earth, and its inhabitants are like grasshoppers; who stretches out the heavens like a curtain, and spreads them like a tent to dwell in; "

Perhaps I am too simple, but I like the fact that scripture is simple(I will defend the first non-underlined portion later). If you do not understand what I mean by using this verse, here it is:

If the universe is constantly expanding 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 (a THEORY on which even the big bang operates 9 - I do not wish to discuss why the big bang won't work now - I can't do everything) then we need to consider this: Is the expansion constant10? If it is not, then surely we cannot determine the age of the universe in a simple manner. If it is, then obviously a calculation will suffice.

Consider the ramifications of a constant - how do we know our constant is right, especially if you consider billions of years. Is 100 years enough to determine an astronomical constant? I do not think it would be. That's like trying to do trigonometry with a triangle with one angle being 0.0000000000000000009 degrees. The problem is astronomers do not know how to calculate the Hubble constant 10. It must be calculated per star or galaxy 11, which suggests it is anything but a constant.

If the universe is young, however, this explains how stars' light can be seen from earth. They were once closer and are moving away slower than the speed of their light(that is the theory bit). Notice that in 6 days God created all things, including the stars. It would have to be AFTER this event that he "stretches out the heavens like a curtain". The next step in the theory is to check how fast the stars are actually moving away, which is dependent on the Hubble constant, which is indeterminable for ALL the universe.

So what are we left with? The same situation the scientists are left with: "We do not know" but at least what we do know and part of we summarize is scripturally sound, as far as I can tell. Praise God for his word.

Please note that this, much like the 'science' that is taught to us, is a theory. This is just a Biblical theory. I am fully open to the fact that I could be wrong. However, scripture is not wrong.

Defense of Isaiah 40:22
"The circle of the earth" - this is not saying the earth is flat, merely circular (which can, if you are honest enough with yourself, mean spherical). Consider this verse in contrast: Isaiah 11:12 "He will raise a signal for the nations and will assemble the banished of Israel, and gather the dispersed of Judah from the four corners of the earth". Now this seems to say the earth has CORNERS, implicating a SQUARE (not round) shape. Not only does this contradict, it contradicts in the SAME book! Once again a clean attitude is required when dealing with scripture.

First: This is so clear a 'contradiction' that it simply cannot be one. If I were going to write you something to lie to you, would I really say this in this manner? The Bible proves its consistency sometimes by how difficult it is to interpret (For over 2500 years we have had this text and no one thought to 'correct' this 'mistake'?). This is an easy case though.

Second: The Hebrew word for corner 'kaw-nawf' has several meanings: "an edge or extremity; specifically (of a bird or army) a wing, (of a garment or bed-clothing) a flap, (of the earth) a quarter, (of a building) a pinnacle". From this we determine that when the context relates to the earth it actually means quarter. Examining this verse with renewed understanding suggests that God will gather Judah from everywhere around the earth. Believe what you will, but that could actually have been obtained from the English text anyway when the right attitude is applied to this scripture (hyperbolic speech - an English idiom "all four corners of the earth"). God told us the earth was 'round' before we had to figure it out. This is not a new belief for Christians who stayed close to the text.

May He keep you and guide you.

References
1 Spurgeon Quote

2 Wikipedia Speed of light

3 Light that travels faster than light

4 Quote from "Six days and the Eisegesis problem"

5 Support for an expanding universe - FAQ in Cosmology

6 Support for an expanding universe - Hubble Site Reference Desk

7 Support for an expanding universe - Sloan Digital Sky Survey

8 Support for an expanding universe - Metrc Expansion

9 Support for an expanding universe - Big Bang

10The Hubble constant

11Rotation of Spiral Galaxies

12Strong's Hebrew Dictionary: Kaw-Nawf

UPDATE 16 April 2008: Errata notes [HERE]

No comments: