Thursday, August 16, 2007

"Familiarity breeds contempt"

I was listening on the radio last night, on the drive home from Bible study (a friend's car - I do not listen to radio) and I heard something along the lines of:

CALLER: "I was sitting in a restaurant yesterday and the Matre’D did not even come up to me and ask me how the meal was... It was not like it was busy, it was three o'clock in the afternoon... Familiarity breeds contempt."



This got me slightly livid. However this is the world and must thus be treated as such. But think about it. Think hard about what they are really saying. I think what they are trying to say is that business' get used to you and therefore forget to treat you as a new possibly regular customer. But as soon as you are a regular customer their treatment of you becomes apathetic.

[sermon]
This is so typical of Christians. We all become apathetic to our salvation. Instead of every day being amazed at God's glory and mercy by His sacrifice to us, we no longer treat God as the one who saved us forever but as that 'regular customer' who we do not need to attend to.
[/sermon]

Why the sermon, you ask. A valid question. Not all of us are in public service. The very reason we are not in public service is we do not delight in the service of others. As anti-Christian as this is, let us consider it from the worldly perspective.

If you give your [valuable] business to one company every day, that company should treat you the way you want to be treated. Please do not confuse this with the way you say you want to be treated. They will treat you the way you act. Therefore, if you go into a restaurant every day and you keep on grunting at the service, there are two things that are going to flow from that:
  • They are not going to want to serve you
  • They will learn you want to be left alone

My conclusion is simple: Treat others as you would be treated. If your familiarity breeds contempt, then I propose it is you that is contentious. If you go in every day with a warm smile and a loving attitude, who in the world is not going to want to be around you?

God's rules are so perfect. They are so just. I am amazed every day how if the world was just consistent in the laws Jesus gave, what a wonderful world it would be. I praise God that He is consistent and I pray that I may follow in His perfection.

No comments: