Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Lie down and die

I want to be more 'Christian' in what I do. This means never lying. Now here is a kicker: are Christians allowed to click the "I have read and agree to the (fascinating) terms of service." check box without reading the document? I say no.

But it is interesting: I wanted a wordpress account, so that when I comment on TR's blog I can show my pretty face. I was reading the terms and conditions and I noticed under point 11:

"If you’re actually reading this, here’s a treat. You understand that you download from, or otherwise obtain content or services through, the Website at your own discretion and risk."



From this it would seem that they honestly do not expect you to read it. By the way I am allowed to reproduce this stuff because:

"(Note, we’ve decided to make the below Terms of Service available under a Creative Commons Sharealike license, which means you’re more than welcome to steal it and repurpose it for your own use, just make sure to replace references to us with ones to you, and if you want we’d appreciate a link to WordPress.com somewhere on your site. We spent a lot of money and time on the below, and other people shouldn’t need to do the same.)"



[WordPress.com]

After all of that I did not get a WordPress account.

But I do think that God's law shows his love for us. He gave us these commandments for our own good. Just think about it: in the digital age check boxes and e-mail addresses are starting to become digital signatures. Would sign a paper document that you have not read? Then why a digital one?

1 comment:

Qjay said...

I now have a wordpress account, and I didn't even have to read the terms and conditions, because I read them before!