Friday, October 26, 2007

My Prayer For Today

Forgive me Lord, for I have sinned.
I took the situations of today and handled them my own way,
I never stood by your council, or kneeled down to pray,
The very opportunities you gave me for growth,
I threw in your face and I neglected your guidance,
A passer-by would never have seen the glory of your grace.

But Lord I thank you, for being with me after.
For revealing my folly and setting me straight,
That even though I sin, I may rejoice in you,
For I can now see that where I lack, in all things,
You are the source of the only good that can be.

God is my strength. God is my righteousness. Though I fail, I know that He will save, He will succeed. When I sin, I see my need for Him. When I triumph, I see His work in me.

-----------------------

This came about because I failed. I started wondering... Why does God allow me to continue to sin? The answer struck me - it is so that I am reminded of how much I need Him. The process of sanctification is so interesting. It does not happen in one night. Sometimes problems we thought were long gone seem to resurface. The reason being, God reminds us of our first need. We must remain reliant on Christ.

The second step is overcoming sin. What can we overcome that we have not identified. When we know we need Christ, and trust Him, then we are in a position that we may overcome? The verse in James does not help if we go half-versim© "resist the devil and he will flee from you." God is so amazing that He does not just leave us in a state of "you, by yourself, MUST." No, instead God tells us the means of resisting the devil:

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you
- James 4:7

What an amazing God we serve. In this passage (not just this verse, the WHOLE CONTEXT) - I suggest reading James - God is telling us the means of overcoming sin.

Praise be to God!

No comments: