Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Self-defense

The question I have been asking myself lately is: do I defend my actions?

I am starting to live fearing the words of God:

"Every way of a man is right in his own eyes, but the LORD weighs the heart."
-Proverbs 21:2

The concept here is that even when we act right, if people do not like what we say and do, do we have a biblical right to defend ourselves? Do we say "I am right because the bible says this..."?

Well, lets look at the fruits of God's spirit (Galatians 5:22-23): Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. It says nothing about defending ourselves. In fact, lets look at the example in Paul

"Have you been thinking all along that we have been defending ourselves to you? It is in the sight of God that we have been speaking in Christ, and all for your upbuilding, beloved."
-2 Cor 12:19



Paul so often did not defend himself. I assume that was a lesson he took from Christ. Christ, so often, on Calvary's road, did not seem to speak up when He could have. I wince when I read Pilot asking Jesus "What is truth?" (John 18:38). Christ should have said "Me! You blind FOOL!" But He did not. Why?

So I would say we should not make a self-defense. If the core of the gospel is humility, which it clearly is, then why should I be right in the eyes of men? From Genesis 1:1 humility is the core aspect of reading scripture: God did it. We need humility when we read the bible, otherwise we put ourselves over God's word. I do not love the law of God because it just so happens to suite me, I love it because I find out that I am a wicked sinner. I praise God not because of the law, but because He sent His Son to pay the burden I cannot bear!

But that means I must live "coram Deo" (before God). Not before men. It also relates to not trusting God's sovereignty. God is in control, He will not permit a word to come from your lips unless it will maximize His glory in the end. So when we say the wrong thing, we take it as correction. When we say the right thing, we praise God for showing His work in us.

No comments: