Sunday, January 13, 2008

Bible study

I have decided that I will try to blog once a week. Just on the studies that I have been doing and the intersting things that I see. If I determine something is stand-alone blog-worthy, like the science thing underneath, I will separate the issues.

So I started reading the bible. I got a NKJV audio dramatised version. I have been through Genesis and Exodus 1 - 20.

Genesis was interesting. I have read it a couple of times, as well as my paster going through it at church. Plus my interest in creation/evolution has spiked the interest. So there has been much effort there. But I must say there are always some parts I cannot simple 'read straight through.' They require me to focus and go back:

  1. Genesis 2. I always need to look at it and make sense of it. But it's there and it's easy. The way I remember to look at it is that the word "formed" is past tense. So since the word includes a past preposition it's easy to see that God had done this thing in the past. Now since it is a translation and therefore not infallible, I can simplify what I mean by adding one word, without changing the meaning. In your KJV, just read (2:19) "And out of the ground the LORD God had formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof." Now you can see what I mean. Easy right? But I can understand why the word isn't there. It's tautological when you see that formed is past tense. There's no need for it.
  2. The length of time Jacob serves laban. Later Jacob says it was 20 years he served Laban, but I always get 21 (3 sets of 7). I but what happens in Genesis 29 is that Jacob serves 7 years, gets Leah. A week later (literal days) he gets Rachael and works another 7 years. That makes 14 years, then he works another 6.
  3. The story of Judah and his sister. Just know that you leave Joseph for a chapter and this tells of Judah's way. It just effects me when I read it.


Then I started on Exodus. Never read it but I thought I knew it. What a bad testimony I am. I never knew Moses had two signs to show Pharoah on his first trip, the serpant and the lepourous hand signs. I thought there was only one. This is why everyone should read the bible instead of making assumptions like me.

Grace and peace to the reader!

2 comments:

Jim W said...

Nice to see you back blogging again. I missed your pithy statements over at Tony Rose's place.

Qjay said...

Hey thanks man. It's nice to know my statements are appriciated :) It's good to be back!