Friday, July 25, 2008

Eschatology, Evangelism and Heretics

What do you believe about the end times? I think it's really important to know what and why you believe something. I am still struggling with my eschatology, I certainly cannot subscribe myself to a pre-millennial rapture deal at the moment. But I continue to study and think - and at least I will be responsible for my end-times view.

My church is partial preterist. They believe that most of revelation has occured, up to Chapter 20, and the rest is still to happen. One thing I have to say about their view, it has some nice side-effects. Evangelism is one of those side effects. They believe the gospel will conquer.

I was talking to someone the other day and I was asked "Wait, they believe that things are getting better, how is that so?" And well, that was a very near sighted question. Firstly, consider perhaps that modern Christianity's light is so dim, that God has purposely made it dark so that at least some light will shine. Secondly, it's quite a man-centered perspective. Just because it's not where man wants to be doesn't mean it's not where God wants us to be.

At least I'm not sitting on my butt waiting for a rapture I can't time anyway. At least there are some people (pre-mills and prets alike) who are willing to go out and shine some light. If there is one thing I can't stand lately, it's a Christian that does not tell of the hope that is in them. I'm not saying anything about the person who spoke to me, I don't know everything they do. This is an issue for the heart of a Christian, I am just trying to draw it out. If you really believe people are going to hell,

HOW DARE YOU JUST SIT THERE?

No comments: