Thursday, July 31, 2008

A scientist I can respect

Thank you, Karl Giberson, for being a true scientist:

"As a fellow scientist (I have a Ph.D. in physics), I share Myers' enthusiasm for fresh eyes, questioning minds and the power of science. And I worry about dogmatism and the kind of zealotry that motivates the faithful to blow themselves up, shoot abortion doctors and persecute homosexuals. But I also worry about narrow exclusiveness that champions the scientific way of knowing to the exclusion of all else. I don't like to see science turned into a club to bash religious believers." [Karl Giberson: "What's wrong with science as religion"]


Here is a man who is prepared to objectively step back and take a look. I don't know his position on creation / evolution, although I suspect he is an evolutionist.

(pssst: creationism requires faith, even if there is evidence).

God bless y'all!

1 comment:

Anton said...

Excellent! I wish more scientists would live by the scientific method. Even though they unbelievers, I respect them for their objectivity.
Also, believers (usually uninformed laymen) think that the Bible opposes science. Nothing could be further from the truth!
I stand with Einstein who said:
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'.
and Kepler who claimed that science was
"thinking God's thoughts after him"