Friday, August 8, 2008

I have given enough

"But the king said to Araunah, "No, but I will buy it from you for a price. I will not offer burnt offerings to the LORD my God that cost me nothing." So David bought the threshing floor and the oxen for fifty shekels of silver." [2 Samuel 24:24]


The context: David has sinned, he got to choose a punishment, and now is called to make sacrifice. But look at what he says: "I will not offer burnt offerings to the LORD my God that cost me nothing."

Oh Christians, do you hear what this man is saying? This is the kind of man that we ought to be as Christians. He refuses to simply offer that which cost nothing. How many Christians would say that their service to the Lord is their time? I am like that. I am the guys who says: "I don't have much, so I give of my time."

Do you think David was not giving of his time? Was David not taking a few days out of his work schedule for God? Would we really make David out to be unrighteous and ourselves righteous over him? We think that our petty gifts are something to be proud of. We think that taking one out of seven days is 'good enough' for God. Who do we think we are?

We cannot give God enough. We simply cannot. But that does not excuse us from trying! How dare we think that we give enough, work hard enough or sacrifice enough for our God! Be tired in the LORD! Go to bed knowing that you couldn't have done more even if there were fifty hours in a day! It is a horrible struggle now, but just keep focused on the One who saved you!

1 comment:

Anton said...

Thanks for that exhortation - I needed to hear this again