Thursday, March 17, 2011

I love to tell the story

What is your story of grace? How does God look after you? I really had such a chance to ponder that this week. I had an amazing experience, and I know it's long winded, but..


I love to tell the story,
'twill be my theme in glory,
to tell the old, old story
of Jesus and his love.
[READ THE FULL HYMN]


That's the song that is currently stuck in my head. I have been blessed by the grace of my Lord.

Monday morning was a really rainy one. It was completely unseasonal and I had to get up at 5:30 in the morning. I thought of sleeping in, but if I get to work early I can get some work done on my PhD, something I really need to finish. To top it all off the lights were out.

I really just wanted to sleep in. "Where is the winning attitude?" I thought to myself "How are you going to get the PhD if you are never going to sit down and do it?" I got up, determined. I couldn't even see my toothbrush to put toothpaste but by this point nothing could deter me.

I got ready and left at around 6am. I was driving along the wet roads were I did not even see the pothole filled with water looking like the rest of the wet road. As most people I hoped everything was ok and carried on driving, until I started noticing I was losing traction.

Now my battery had been giving me problems since I left my lights on (it was an old battery and needed replacing anyway), but the long and short of it is that I can't start my car without a push / bump start, so I stopped at a stop street but did not turn the car off just in case.

I sat there for about 10 minutes and then decided that I would cause too much traffic if I sat there, so I tried to move the car. The car moved so slowly and sluggishly, I couldn't believe how bad it was. I managed to get to corners away and stop in the entrance to a bus stop.

And there I sat, around 6:30 in the morning with nothing but my cell phone, which failed to charge due to the power failure the night before. So with little charge I called my fiance and asked her to try and sort out a tow truck. I also tried to use the GPS device to find a towing company. I started to pray.

My fiance found a number, and they told me they would charge R1000 (+-$140) to tow me 5km (+- 3 miles) down the road. This was distressing, but I accepted. They also told me they would only accept cash and so they would take me to an ATM first. So much for helping people.

So I was sitting there waiting watching traffic go by, thankful that at least I would be on my way. An hour later the towing company called and asked if I had sorted myself out yet. "What?!?" was my response. They then dispatched the driver. I had nothing else, so I waited once more.

I eventually got out of the car to check the damage - I had hit the pot hole so badly I had destroyed 2 tyres.

Then this guy walks off of the street and tells me he works for a place that sells tyres, and he could go check if they have stock of my tyre. I thought that this might be an off proposition, but then again, the towing company isn't doing me any favours, so I agreed. 10 Minutes later he said they had my tyres in stock, they would charge R600 ($84) per tyre and they would change it on the spot. I was thrilled. I agreed.

I cried in the car because I was so overwhelmed with the grace of God. I wished I had more faith. God is so good to me.

Turns out this guy works for a company that changes tyres on the fly - they will drive out to you with their van and change your tyres. Awesome! So he gets busy...

Only to find that 3 out of 4 bolts have been stripped on the one tyre, the 4th broken completely. So I now I have to drive very carefully to the garage down the road to get that sorted out. But wait, I had switched off my car and have a battery problem, it already started by pure Grace once already...

The car just started, once again a sign of grace. So with a wheel fixed with two nuts and a lot of caution, I got to a garage. To cut a longer story shorter I got the car repaired. I am thankful that God was there with me and really helped me out. I am so grateful that I have a story like David:

"And David said, 'The LORD who delivered me from the paw of the lion and from the paw of the bear, He will deliver me from the hand of this Philistine.' And Saul said to David, 'Go, and may the LORD be with you.'" [1 Samuel 17:37]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great story..If only we could bottle the faith we have in our hearts during those times that we see God's grace in our lives and be able to use it again in those times that we feel so lost..Never forget this hardship