Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Open Letter to Redbull

This letter was made in reference to Youtube: Redbull Jesus

Good day,

I am a devout Christian, and I want to applaude (even PRAISE) you for the advert that you put up. There is NO REASON why you should have to remove it.

I am not a Redbull drinker, but I want to commend you for what you did and the way you did it. I cannot say I LIKE what you did - I believe that taking my Lord and Saviour's name in vain is a sin punishable by eternal hell. HOWEVER - why should you be forced to take down the advert when there are television shows and movies that do it all the time?

The public has spoken - they do not mind Jesus being ridiculed in their entertainment. I can fully understand your confusion as a non-christian company. We are sending the wrong signals. I think what you did was great, not because I agree, and not because 'it made the Christians wake up,' (because it didn't - 'Christians' reacted very childishly) but because it is consistent with our culture and our entertainment industry.

Regards,
Quintin Balsdon

UPDATE

I got this response:

------------------------------------------------
Dear Quintin

Thank you for contacting us regarding the Red Bull advertisement broadcast on South African television. Given the time and effort it has taken for you to contact us directly, we appreciate how strongly you feel about this.

For over twenty years, Red Bull cartoons have looked at well known themes with a twinkle in the eye. It is never our intention to hurt anyone’s feelings. We regret that you have been offended by this particular cartoon.
This advertisement was part of our regular Red Bull series, it is now off air and has now been followed by another.

Regards,
Red Bull


______________________________________________________________________
This email has been scanned by the Symantec Email Security.cloud service.
For more information please visit http://www.symanteccloud.com
______________________________________________________________________

------------------------------------------------

To which I responded:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Redbull,

No thanks to you for contacting me with your generic response regarding the Red Bull advertisement broadcast on South African television. Given the time and effort you have put into actually reading my e-mail, which was thought out and NOT A COMPLAINT, I appreciate how badly you must really feel (which, of course, is nothing). What I was trying to offer you was a reasonable reaction with which you could have gotten the Christians' backs against a wall - one where your advert could have stayed on air.

But now, since you do not read your e-mails anyway, I will complain.

"For over twenty years, Red Bull cartoons have looked at well known themes with a twinkle in the eye. It is never our intention to hurt anyone’s feelings. We regret that you have been offended by this particular cartoon."

Making an advert with Christ blaspheming in it could only have been intended to offend. You got your reaction, but my God is bigger than you. I am not the one offended, not am I the one who will be held accountable for your godless trash.

"This advertisement was part of our regular Red Bull series, it is now off air and has now been followed by another."

I am very sure it will. You must have known what kind of reaction you would get, and therefore had time to get everything ready, including another advert.

Should you actually want to read my e-mail, here is a link: http://gthruf.blogspot.com/2012/03/open-letter-to-redbull.html

Regards,
Quintin
-----------------------

I feel like I am crying in the wilderness. Why will Christians not listen? We invite this trash into our homes every night - we pay to watch movies with it in, and you sit back and drink it up.

And then when we see something like this, then we COMPLAIN? Wow - we are really no better than the Exodus. You resort to your RIGHTS? Paul could not do that! Peter could not do that! If we are going to complain we must take it to ALL aspects of the media.

Until I see Christians doing this (and maybe we are getting better), I will support any company who gets a bad reaction from the half-hearted lukewarm 'Christian' demographic.

1 comment:

Lance Marchetti - Gonubie said...

To the world: If you were not grieved in your spirit about the Red Bull Ad, I can just about guarantee that you do not have a personal daily walk with Jesus Christ. Your walk on water will always be shallow; just like the advertising team at Red Bull. No Depth. If that hurts, then it's meant to, because I say it to you in Love.